You probably think you aren’t being monitored when you’re on your computer at home don’t you? I used to think I could surf the web privately too.
Spyware is defined as any technology that gathers information without the users consent. It can infect computers in two ways: as a software virus, or as a result of installing/downloading a new program. The average computer user doesn’t even recognize when it infects their computer. Spyware is often used to send you pop up ads, direct you to certain websites and track personal information that could potentially lead to identity theft. Spyware is often associated with PC’s because they are more susceptible to viruses. The FTC encourages computer users to familiarize themselves with the signs that spyware has been installed on their machines. The next step is to get rid of it. The FTC’s website has offered some tips on how to detect if your computer has been infected with spyware. FTC on Spyware Luckily for us, anti-spyware technology has been created in response to the virus.
In my mind spyware is just another thing to worry about. The Internet provides us with unlimited content, but now we have to be careful about what websites we visit and what we click on. I personally haven’t had any run-ins with spyware, although when I used to have a PC I did have an anti-spyware program that I ran regularly. I don’t see spyware dying anytime in the near future because it’s just like any other virus that is illegally infecting your computer.
From a planners perspective, when you speak about spyware you have to bring up the ethical aspect of it. I don’t think that using spyware to advertise is ethical by any means, but someone does because spyware infects machines for commercial gain. I don’t think any AP with credibility would risk using spyware as a mode of advertising. Not only is it illegal, but also the users that are exposed to the ads aren’t going to be happy campers. I know that when an unwanted ad pops-up on my computer the brands image diminishes in my mind.
Spyware definitely exposes consumers to brands whether they like it or not. Does your impression of the brand change because of pop-up ads? Who are the people using spyware to advertise? Is it effective? Where is the ethical line drawn?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment